Welcome back to What The Luxe, a newsletter packed with
insights & intelligence for luxury, beauty & lifestyle marketers
—written by me, David Klingbeil
The luxury industry is ever-changing. Some trends come and go but others prove to be timeless. Ignoring luxury trends is a sure way to miss on growth opportunities. However, it's never been harder to stay on top of the latest trends than today.
So... what works in luxury today?
- When in doubt, do as Jacquemus & Balenciaga do
In times of uncertainty, being creative and audacious is key. By taking risks and experimenting with new ideas, a few brands are succeeding.
Balenciaga and Jacquemus' success show that brands can thrive amid these uncertain times.
- Go after the second-hand market
The second-hand luxury goods market is booming, and brands are exploring more new ways to go after them.
Sellers, buyers and personal shoppers alike have all decided that luxury goods can be just as good second hand. Some argue that some goods are even better old.
While the window of opportunity to join in this trend may be closing for some, there are still plenty of opportunities for innovation and success.
- Go full degen mode with Web3
Luxury brands today are at a crossroads. Many brands have tried launching NFTs and metaverse experiences with more or less success...
But one thing is for sure: those that leverage web3 and understand its impact on the customer journey will win.
It's time to go from a tactical approach to a strategic one!
I hope this newsletter will inspire you, surprise you and make you think… What the Luxe?!
PS: feel free to hit reply to leave a comment, I read and answer every message
Luxury Book Spotlight
A few week ago, I've had a great chat with Marc Montagne. Marc is a true watch lover. He told me about his latest book: Invest in watches
Invest in watches is a great read (or gift) for luxury watch lovers as well as newcomers. More than a textbook, it's:
- A guide for watch collectors that covers everything about watch investing : which watches to buy, how to buy at auctions, how to value a piece, state of the industry ...
- Tips from an insider of the watch industry and top writer on Quora about watches
- Not just a book about watch investing but a good read for anyone that simply loves watches
Get your copy on Amazon here: Invest in watches
* This is not an ad, I've bought my own copy of the book and genuinely appreciated Marc's work
💡 Products & Trends
- How Hip-Hop Won Over the Luxury Industry
- Christian Louboutin to launch kids and pet lines
- De Beers Unveils Its First Gender-Neutral Jewelry Collection
- Richard Mille’s new timepiece is a tribute to the Smiley illustration
- Dr Martens launches The Clash collab
📺 Marketing and Advertising
- Bella Hadid Closed Coperni With a Spray-On Dress
- Jared Leto to produce film about Karl Lagerfeld
- When Could Chinese Tourists Return To The World Stage?
- Balenciaga Wipes Instagram Feed in Support of Iranian Women
- Brands are investing in original sound marketing on TikTok
⛓️ Web3 & The Metaverse
- Gucci names new metaverse and Vault CEO
- Farfetch now accepts crypto payments in 37 countries
- Finding fashion’s place in the metaverse
- Prada drops fifth Exclusive ‘Timecapsule’ NFT Collection
- Printemps opens first metaverse store
💼 Business & Finance
- Balenciaga's booming financials & the future is even brighter
- Jacquemus aims for a turnover of € 500 million in 2023
- 61 percent of fashion shoppers prioritize cost over sustainability
- Fendi acquires knitwear specialist Maglificio Matisse
- Resale market has tripled in two years, according to new report
🛍️ Experience & Retail
- Kanye West stages surprise Paris Fashion Week show
- Pharrell’s New Auction Site Lets You Bid on Rare Streetwear
- Vogue and Sofitel share their secrets on mastering the ‘Art de Vivre’
- Jimmy Choo to offer resale via The RealReal partnership
- Goodwill launches secondhand marketplace with luxury section
- Off-White announces partnership with Italian football team AC Milan
- Amazon to hire 150,000 workers ahead of holiday season
- This champagne bottle is designed specifically for you to raise a toast in outerspace
- Lamborghini Makes a Honey That’s Harder to Get Than a Huracán Sterrato
- Ye criticized after showing 'White Lives Matter' t-shirt in Paris
Long form content (>1min)
Burberry - Burberry Night Creatures Film ( 2m46 )
GUCCI - Psalm of Love with the Gucci Dionysus | Mind Travelers ( 1m )
Moncler - Moncler 70 | The Anniversary Show ( 4m47 )
Guerlain - GUERLAIN | L'Art & La Matière: Shades of Oud ( 1m04 )
Short form content (<1min)
RIMOWA - Never Still | Thank You Roger Federer ( 45s )
Cartier - Panthère de Cartier: A Style Statement ( 15s )
Moët & Chandon Official - The Grand Vintage Collection by Moët & Chandon ( 52s )
On top of the regular What The Luxe, I share deep-dives on hot topics in the luxury industry with the Premium subscribers.
Check the full list of Special Reports.
Here are the latest special reports:
- 01 - Luxury & Purpose
- 02 - Luxury & Holidays / Gifting
- 03 - Luxury & Craftsmanship
- 04 - Luxury Private Labels
- 05 - What is luxury?
- 06 - Luxury & Data
- 07 - Luxury & Augmented Reality (AR)
- 08 - 8 Luxury Trends for 2021
- 09 - The State of Luxury Videos
- 10 - Luxury & Podcasts
- 11 - Luxury, Crypto & Blockchain
- 12 - Luxury & Live video
- 13 - Learnings from 100 luxury pandemic campaigns
- 14 - Data & insights guide (part 1)
- 15 - Data & insights guide (part 2)
- 16 - Data & insights guide (part 3)
- 17 - Luxury & Nostalgia
- 18 - Luxury & The Web3
- 19 - Luxury & Storytelling (Long Form Videos)
Have you considered going premium?
If yes, subscribe now to What The Luxe Premium and gain access to the full experience and to support our work <3
Luxury is as much about business as it is about creativity. Staying inspired is key. Here’s a selection of what keeps me inspired:
A post shared by Mike Parisella (@slimesunday)
A post shared by Touch My Sense (@touchmysense_)
A post shared by Marius Visual Arts (@marius_visualarts)
A post shared by Text-based Visual Artists (@textbased_visual_artists)
A post shared by vintagefantasy magazine (@vintagefantasymag)
A post shared by Guy Hepner Editions (@guyhepnereditions)
If you’ve enjoyed What The Luxe, share it with a friend. If you’ve hated it, share it with an enemy.
Never miss What The Luxe!
To make sure that you always get your issue of What The Luxe, drag this message into your primary tab. #proTip