Welcome back to What The Luxe, a newsletter packed with
insights & intelligence for luxury, beauty & lifestyle marketers
—written by me, David Klingbeil
Carrying the weight of many centuries of history, today's luxury is more globalized than ever before.
It spans from France's jewellery to Italy's fashion, and it includes Germany's cars, America's handbags, the UK's tailoring and even Cuba's cigars.
Yet it is more connected to its roots than ever before. Craftsmanship and "made in" labels are key in luxury, which continue to be at the heart of all good marketing strategies.
To get ahead in this new era of luxury marketing when consumers are brand agnostic, marketers need to strike a delicate balance between local roots and global reach.
As digital, purpose and web3 are being tossed into the mix, this balance becomes more and more difficult to strike...
I hope this newsletter will inspire you, surprise you and make you think… What the Luxe?!
PS: feel free to hit reply to leave a comment, I read and answer every message
💡 Products & Trends
- Balmain to tap into the beauty market with the help of Estée Lauder
- Have luxury sneakers become too pricey for Gen Z consumers?
- Mr Porter launches exclusive capsule with Marni
- What next for Burberry under the creative direction of Daniel Lee?
📺 Marketing and Advertising
- Hermès opens ”Hermès in the Making” exhibition in Singapore
- Is influencer marketing worth the hype?
- How luxury brands can stay relevant to the modern affluent consumer
- New Champion global campaign is ode to the hoodie
🛍️ Experience & Retail
- A New Generation of Creative Thinkers Is Changing Paris Fashion Week
- Nike opens first store in the Bronx
- Balenciaga launches resale service with Reflaunt
- Auction house Christie’s has launched a dedicated department for sneakers and streetwear.
- The future of shopping will be a virtual shopping universe
⛓️ Web3 & The Metaverse
- Balmain unveils NFT membership program with MintNFT
- Alibaba grows metaverse presence with luxury Tmall fashion show
- How beauty brands and retailers can take advantage of the metaverse
- Sephora brings Sephoria to the metaverse
- Christie’s to launch an NFT marketplace
💼 Business & Finance
- Chanel completes reorganization becoming a British corporation
- Fashion brands are strategizing to avoid a discounting ‘bloodbath’
- LVMH Métiers d’Art invests in Italian leather specialists
- Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal Showcase Their Rolex and Richard Mille Watches
- OMEGA’s new Speedmaster to measure time on Planet Earth and Mars
- Crocs unveil collaboration with Christian Cowan
Long form content (>1min)
The BoF Podcast | How Big Brands Choose Their Creative Directors ( 22m55 )
Balenciaga - YEEZY GAP ENGINEERED BY BALENCIAGA ( 3m32 )
Short form content (<1min)
Christian Dior - BORN IN THE WILD, CRAFTED BY DIOR - Santal ( 35s )
Valentino Transforms Aranya in Pink PP ( 46s )
GUCCI - The illusion begins and ends at the walls that surround us. #GucciTwinsburg ( 15s )
Hermès - Hermès | Nouer ( 19s )
On top of the regular What The Luxe, I share deep-dives on hot topics in the luxury industry with the Premium subscribers.
Check the full list of Special Reports.
Here are the latest special reports:
- 01 - Luxury & Purpose
- 02 - Luxury & Holidays / Gifting
- 03 - Luxury & Craftsmanship
- 04 - Luxury Private Labels
- 05 - What is luxury?
- 06 - Luxury & Data
- 07 - Luxury & Augmented Reality (AR)
- 08 - 8 Luxury Trends for 2021
- 09 - The State of Luxury Videos
- 10 - Luxury & Podcasts
- 11 - Luxury, Crypto & Blockchain
- 12 - Luxury & Live video
- 13 - Learnings from 100 luxury pandemic campaigns
- 14 - Data & insights guide (part 1)
- 15 - Data & insights guide (part 2)
- 16 - Data & insights guide (part 3)
- 17 - Luxury & Nostalgia
- 18 - Luxury & The Web3
- 19 - Luxury & Storytelling (Long Form Videos)
Have you considered going premium?
If yes, subscribe now to What The Luxe Premium and gain access to the full experience and to support our work <3
Luxury is as much about business as it is about creativity. Staying inspired is key. Here’s a selection of what keeps me inspired:
A post shared by F I X A T I O N (@fixationclub)
A post shared by Helium Magazine (@heliummagazine)
A post shared by Donald Robertson. (@drawbertson)
A post shared by Text-based Visual Artists (@textbased_visual_artists)
If you’ve enjoyed What The Luxe, share it with a friend. If you’ve hated it, share it with an enemy.
Never miss What The Luxe!
To make sure that you always get your issue of What The Luxe, drag this message into your primary tab. #proTip