Welcome back to What The Luxe, a newsletter packed with
insights & intelligence for luxury, beauty & lifestyle marketers
—written by me, David Klingbeil
Daaaamn, it's already the end of August...
Summer is over before you know it. Don't believe me? Just walk around in a retail space. Everything seems to be on sale — some things are even half-price. Money certainly can't buy happiness, but it can buy a few extra pair of shoes and a few extra weeks of summer holidays.
Truth be told, it's been a slow summer for luxury news. The heat of July and August has translated into more lounging than designing in offices, and so press releases have dwindled alongside ice cream orders.
Despite this lull, luxury marketers and executives have been working hard behind the scene to prepare back to school and Q4. A lot of surprises are about to make a splash in the coming months.
Stay tuned, stay hydrated and stay subscribed to What The Luxe (feels like an endless summer, right?)
I hope this newsletter will inspire you, surprise you and make you think… What the Luxe?!
PS: feel free to hit reply to leave a comment, I read and answer every message
💡 Products & Trends
- TAG Heuer and Porsche Release a Smartwatch
- Bobbi Brown Ventures Into Hair Care
- Louis Vuitton Is About to Drop a Bold, Updated Take on Its Empreinte Jewelry Collection
- Stella McCartney and LVMH Launch Clean Beauty Line
- Japan Wants Young Adults to Drink More Alcohol. Here’s Why.
🛍️ Experience & Retail
- In The Aftermath Of The Pandemic, Wellness Is The New Luxury
- Amazon Fashion launches virtual try-on for sunglasses
- Brands and retailers are focusing less on e-commerce modernization
⛓️ Web3 & The Metaverse
- The Duality Of The Chinese Metaverse
- Survey finds people expect to spend at least 4 hours a day in the metaverse
- Gucci taps Miley Cyrus avatar for Roblox fragrance
💼 Business & Finance
- The future of investing includes Birkins, Rolexes and JLo’s jungle dress
- Prada is seeking at least US$1 billion from a second listing in Milan
- Beauty and the inflation beast: 'lipstick effect' to shield Estée Lauder, Coty
📺 Marketing and Advertising
- Tiffany & Co. designs the trophy of an e-sport competition
- Why Luxury Sneakers Are The New Social Currency
- Luxury brands in China are (again) turning to gifting
- Is there a new CMO in town? How the chief metaverse officer is shaking up the C-suite
- Discover Snapchat+ the latest premium experience from Snap
- Balenciaga Debuts Its Latest Absurdist Piece, the 'Shoelace Bow Earrings'
- Supreme Is Collaborating With Pat McGrath Labs Again
- Karl Lagerfeld’s beloved pet cat, Choupette, celebrated her 11th birthday in style on a private plane
- Goop founder Gwyneth Paltrow will appear as a guest shark on Shark Tank’s upcoming season
- Dozens of Rolexes Have Been Stolen Right Off the Wrists of Bay Area Watch Collectors
Long form content (>1min)
Tiffany & Co.— Tiffany Lock ( 1m30 )
Valentino - Valentino Narratives | Episode 4 ( 7m34 )
Montblanc - How to use Montblanc Augmented Paper II Montblanc ( 3m05 )
Dolce & Gabbana - Dolce&Gabbana DNA Sicily ( 1m )
Short form content (<1min)
GUCCI - Gucci Link to Love ( 45s )
IWC Watches - IWC x PREFACE - THE COLORS OF TOP GUN IN HONG KONG ( 50s )
Louis Vuitton - Empreinte Fine Jewelry Collection| LOUIS VUITTON ( 40s )
Guerlain - GUERLAIN | Introducing Noir G ( 29s )
On top of the regular What The Luxe, I share deep-dives on hot topics in the luxury industry with the Premium subscribers.
Check the full list of Special Reports.
Here are the latest special reports:
- 01 - Luxury & Purpose
- 02 - Luxury & Holidays / Gifting
- 03 - Luxury & Craftsmanship
- 04 - Luxury Private Labels
- 05 - What is luxury?
- 06 - Luxury & Data
- 07 - Luxury & Augmented Reality (AR)
- 08 - 8 Luxury Trends for 2021
- 09 - The State of Luxury Videos
- 10 - Luxury & Podcasts
- 11 - Luxury, Crypto & Blockchain
- 12 - Luxury & Live video
- 13 - Learnings from 100 luxury pandemic campaigns
- 14 - Data & insights guide (part 1)
- 15 - Data & insights guide (part 2)
- 16 - Data & insights guide (part 3)
- 17 - Luxury & Nostalgia
- 18 - Luxury & The Web3
- 19 - Luxury & Storytelling (Long Form Videos)
Have you considered going premium?
If yes, subscribe now to What The Luxe Premium and gain access to the full experience and to support our work <3
Luxury is as much about business as it is about creativity. Staying inspired is key. Here’s a selection of what keeps me inspired:
If you’ve enjoyed What The Luxe, share it with a friend. If you’ve hated it, share it with an enemy.
Never miss What The Luxe!
To make sure that you always get your issue of What The Luxe, drag this message into your primary tab. #proTip