Welcome back to What The Luxe, a newsletter packed with
insights & intelligence for luxury, beauty & lifestyle marketers
—written by me, David Klingbeil
Successful luxury brands today are those that understand how to feed the consumer's appetite for culture, because it is not only a trend but also a necessity.
And if there's something that the simple art of culture is best known for, well, it's giving luxury brands a way to show off and indulge their creativity (and share a bit of wisdom along the way).
Luxury brands have always associated themselves with culture and celebrated great artists. The influence of culture is surely noticeable in fashion.
In its latest campaign "The Exquisite Gucci Campaign", the Italian luxury brand show how cinema - such as Kubrik's Space Odyssey - continues to inspire the brand.
Today, the cultural references brand use can be even more surprising than just the usual suspects. For instance, it's the CryptoPunks NFT collection that inspired Tiffany&Co last month for a special virtual & physical launch. This month, Tiffany doubles down on this trend as the brand has announced to have created the trophy of the League of Legends video game world championship.
Last, technology itself can inspire luxury. The latest example of this comes from GenZ's favorite social app: TikTok. In effect, TikTok has become such a cultural phenomenon that it is influencing fashion's aesthetics and even the way people look for content.
I hope this newsletter will inspire you, surprise you and make you think… What the Luxe?!
PS: feel free to hit reply to leave a comment, I read and answer every message
💡 Products & Trends
- How TikTok has influenced the fashion industry
- Paul Smith launches first home collection
- Vintage Jewelry Has Never Been More Desirable
- Tiffany & Co. unveil League of Legends world championship trophy
- How a Younger Generation Learned to Love Old-Money Aesthetics
🛍️ Experience & Retail
- With Richemont deal, Farfetch further establishes luxury e-commerce dominance
- More international luxury brands launch on Chinese website JD.com
- How beauty is leveraging Shopify’s new influencer platform
⛓️ Web3 & The Metaverse
- Discover the NFT ‘Keys’ for consumers to unlock NYFW
- Estée Lauder to join Decentraland’s Metaverse Art Week
- What Can Luxury Learn From Streetwear In The Metaverse?
- Nike ahead in NFT game thanks to RTFKT
- Seattle NFT Museum launches exhibition on fashion’s place in the blockchain
💼 Business & Finance
- Absence of Chinese tourists in Europe is impacting luxury brands
- Ex-Gucci executive Martin Barthel heads BCG’s Parisian start-up incubator
- Coty Inc.’s recovery remains strong despite turbulent beauty environment
📺 Marketing and Advertising
- Collabs are key to success of fast-growing brands, StockX data suggests
- How Pokémon forges successful licensing partnerships
- ‘I don’t even Google anymore, I TikTok’: How TikTok became an aesthetic generator
- Emma Watson stars and directs global campaign for Prada's new fragrance
- Yves Saint Laurent Beauté Names Lil Nas X as US Brand Ambassador
- Gucci lost a trademark battle in Japan against a parody brand
- Steve Jobs’ glamorous daughter Eve has landed on the cover of Vogue Japan
- Ulysse Nardin Doubles Down on the Rainbow Craze at Geneva Watch Days
Long form content (>1min)
GUCCI - The Exquisite Gucci Campaign ( 1m26 )
ROLEX - 2021 Rolex Awards Laureate Documentary: Rinzin Phunjok Lama ( 3m15 )
Sephora - Brennah’s Story of Belonging | Sephora ( 3m08 )
Short form content (<1min)
Hermès - Hermès | Modeler ( 22s )
Valentino - Mastery Tales: Valentino Eyewear ( 1m )
Acqua di Parma - Our latest creation, Magnolia Infinita ( 20s )
Bulgari - Octo Finissimo 8 Days Savoir-Faire | Bulgari Watches ( 1m )
On top of the regular What The Luxe, I share deep-dives on hot topics in the luxury industry with the Premium subscribers.
Check the full list of Special Reports.
Here are the latest special reports:
- 01 - Luxury & Purpose
- 02 - Luxury & Holidays / Gifting
- 03 - Luxury & Craftsmanship
- 04 - Luxury Private Labels
- 05 - What is luxury?
- 06 - Luxury & Data
- 07 - Luxury & Augmented Reality (AR)
- 08 - 8 Luxury Trends for 2021
- 09 - The State of Luxury Videos
- 10 - Luxury & Podcasts
- 11 - Luxury, Crypto & Blockchain
- 12 - Luxury & Live video
- 13 - Learnings from 100 luxury pandemic campaigns
- 14 - Data & insights guide (part 1)
- 15 - Data & insights guide (part 2)
- 16 - Data & insights guide (part 3)
- 17 - Luxury & Nostalgia
- 18 - Luxury & The Web3
- 19 - Luxury & Storytelling (Long Form Videos)
Have you considered going premium?
If yes, subscribe now to What The Luxe Premium and gain access to the full experience and to support our work <3
Luxury is as much about business as it is about creativity. Staying inspired is key. Here’s a selection of what keeps me inspired:
A post shared by Guy Hepner Editions (@guyhepnereditions)
A post shared by blowyourart (@blowyour_art)
A post shared by Pardis (@artpvb)
A post shared by Thinking Minds (@thinkingmindspage)
A post shared by Square Sayings (@squaresayings)
If you’ve enjoyed What The Luxe, share it with a friend. If you’ve hated it, share it with an enemy.
Never miss What The Luxe!
To make sure that you always get your issue of What The Luxe, drag this message into your primary tab. #proTip
Subscribe to What The Luxe
Subscribe to the newsletter and unlock access to member-only content.