Welcome back to What The Luxe, a newsletter packed with
insights & intelligence for luxury, beauty & lifestyle marketers
—written by me, David Klingbeil
No Bear Market for Luxury?
In the ever-changing landscape of global markets, one thing remains steadfast: the indomitable spirit of luxury. Unlike many industries that ebb and flow with economic tides, the luxury sector has proven itself to be remarkably resilient.
Unprecedented moments are unfolding before us, as boundaries are pushed and industry giants take center stage.
- L'Oréal, a powerhouse in beauty, has acquired the distinctive Aesop brand. This merger sets the stage for unparalleled innovation and creative genius.
- Meanwhile, Hermès, a symbol of timeless elegance, has ascended as the second largest luxury brand on the globe.
- In a further twist of fate, Bernard Arnault, the CEO of LVMH, now reigns supreme atop the Bloomberg billionaire index.
As we embark on this voyage through the resplendent world of luxury, we invite you to open your mind, indulge your senses, and savor the essence of modern opulence.
Welcome to the story of our times.
I hope this newsletter will inspire you, surprise you and make you think… What the Luxe?!
PS: Thank you for being 4,000+ readers of this newsletter. Feel free to hit reply to leave a comment, I read and answer every message
💡 Products & Trends
- How fashion brands are using generative AI
- Gucci unveils its new high watchmaking 2023 collection
- Does the fashion industry still need trend forecasters?
- Louis Vuitton unveils second drop of its Yayoi Kusama collaboration
- Furla launches home collection line
🛍️ Experience & Retail
- Organizing A Fashion Show? Here Are Some Things To Think About
- Clinique unveils their new digital retail concept
- Social shopping could be the answer to e-commerce’s discoverability problem
- How This New Watch Club Became L.A.’s Coolest Collectors’ Group
- The U.S. secondhand market to reach $70 billion by 2027: ThredUp
⛓️ Web3 & The Metaverse
- Gucci partners with NFT giant Yuga Labs, the company behind Bored Ape Yacht Club
- Decentraland and Over stage second Metaverse Fashion Week
- From L’Oréal To Roblox And Web3: The Virtual Future Of Beauty
- Why fashion house Gucci believes in the metaverse and Web3
🌲 Sustainability & Purpose
- Coty launches new Gucci fragrance with 100% carbon-captured alcohol
- The challenges of sustainable childrenswear
- Hermes opens sustainable leather goods workshop in France
- Gucci launches collection from stagnant stock
- How Can Fashion Week Be More Accessible?
💼 Business & Finance
- L’Oréal Acquires Aesop from Natura &Co in $2.5 Billion Deal
- Hermès, Worth $218 Billion, Is Now the World’s Second-Most Valuable Luxury Brand
- LVMH owner Bernard Arnault tops Bloomberg Billionaires Index
📺 Marketing and Advertising
- Balenciaga unarchives its Instagram posts
- Stradivarius launches first campaign created with artificial intelligence
- Gucci Is Now At A Critical Juncture. Here’s What Luxury Brands Can Learn.
- The Most Exciting New Watches From the World’s Biggest Watch Show
- Louis XIII Is About to Drop an Ultra-Rare $50,000 Cognac
- Jacob & Co.’s spectacular $20 million Billionaire Timeless Treasure is a breathtaking masterpiece that boasts 425 of the world’s rarest gems
Long form content (>1min)
Aveda - Aveda Earth Month | The Power of Every Drop ( 1m )
Cartier - Santos-Dumont de Cartier: Watches and Wonders 2023 ( 1m30 )
A. Lange & Söhne - Connoisseur Conversation about the ODYSSEUS CHRONOGRAPH ( 25m47 )
Short form content (<1min)
Bulgari - Tomo’s Favorite Spots | Bulgari Hotels ( 48s )
IWC Watches - For the architects of the future. ( 36s )
Christian Dior - The Savoir-Faire Behind the Dior Key Handbag ( 58s )
Jaeger-LeCoultre - Reverso Secret Necklace | Jaeger-LeCoultre ( 46s )
On top of the regular What The Luxe, I share deep-dives on hot topics in the luxury industry with the Premium subscribers.
Check the full list of Special Reports.
Here are the latest special reports:
- 01 - Luxury & Purpose
- 02 - Luxury & Holidays / Gifting
- 03 - Luxury & Craftsmanship
- 04 - Luxury Private Labels
- 05 - What is luxury?
- 06 - Luxury & Data
- 07 - Luxury & Augmented Reality (AR)
- 08 - 8 Luxury Trends for 2021
- 09 - The State of Luxury Videos
- 10 - Luxury & Podcasts
- 11 - Luxury, Crypto & Blockchain
- 12 - Luxury & Live video
- 13 - Learnings from 100 luxury pandemic campaigns
- 14 - Data & insights guide (part 1)
- 15 - Data & insights guide (part 2)
- 16 - Data & insights guide (part 3)
- 17 - Luxury & Nostalgia
- 18 - Luxury & The Web3
- 19 - Luxury & Storytelling (Long Form Videos)
Have you considered going premium?
If yes, subscribe now to What The Luxe Premium and gain access to the full experience and to support our work <3
Luxury is as much about business as it is about creativity. Staying inspired is key. Here’s a selection of what keeps me inspired:
A post shared by Leȯ (@soleoado)
A post shared by Andréa Barbet (@m.o.n.a.j)
A post shared by Trippy Sanctuary (@trippysanctuary)
A post shared by Marius Visual Arts (@marius_visualarts)
A post shared by Word ARTworks (@word_artworks)
If you’ve enjoyed What The Luxe, share it with a friend. If you’ve hated it, share it with an enemy.
Never miss What The Luxe!
To make sure that you always get your issue of What The Luxe, drag this message into your primary tab. #proTip