Welcome back to What The Luxe, a newsletter packed with
insights & intelligence for luxury, beauty & lifestyle marketers
—written by me, David Klingbeil
Q3 is ending with a bang
I can't believe 2022 is coming to an end and it's been 918 days since the 15 days to slow the spread... The world will be so different by the end of 2022 as it was at the end of 2019...
As everybody's trying to figure out how to make the world a better place, we see more and more brands wanting to play their part. Take the surge in sustainable projects as an example.
Patagonia’s founder has announced he's giving his company away to fight climate change and everybody has started to applaud... But we're not all Patagonia and we should beware of greenwashing...
On the tech side, the biggest event in crypto has just happened. The merge was successfully finalized.
This means that the Ethereum blockchain (where most NFT projects are created) is now the most sustainable blockchain. So many possibilities are opening for luxury brands that were reluctant to explore web3 because of sustainability issues.
Boom, issues are gone, let's f*cking go now!
But the luxury space is quite silent about it. Only a handful of luxury web3 projects have emerged in the last few weeks. Is something bigger about to happen? Well, Hermès has registered its first patents in the Metaverse so that's probably something...
I hope this newsletter will inspire you, surprise you and make you think… What the Luxe?!
PS: feel free to hit reply to leave a comment, I read and answer every message
💡 Products & Trends
- Hermès debuts new luxury Apple watch series 8 straps
- Gucci unveils second collaboration with Adidas
- Nike debuts robot-powered system to extend life of sneakers
- Brioni launches first ever luxury women’s capsule collection
- Can an Indian-founded beauty brand go global?
🛍️ Experience & Retail
- Fendi Joins Forces With Meta For Its Virtual AR Sneakers Experience
- Louis Vuitton vs. Ralph Lauren: Which Brand Has the Best Restaurant?
- Mr Porter expands vintage watch sales in the UK
- Etam to merge virtual and reality during its upcoming fashion show
- The Art of Retail Buying in the Digital Age
⛓️ Web3 & The Metaverse
- Hermès’ Entry Into The Metaverse Hails A New Era For Digital Luxury Fashion
- Tommy Hilfiger returns to NYFW with a new logo and metaverse focus
- A very exclusive collectible Tequila NFT collection
- Meta: 2022 marks ‘the start of the beginning’ for the metaverse
- Puma Returns to NY Fashion Week With Streetwear, Collaborations and NFTs
🌲 Sustainability & Purpose
- Patagonia founder gives away company to combat climate change
- Valentino aims for sustainability for its website, too
- How fashion is getting Gen Z excited about sustainability
- Allbirds launches first plant-based leather sneaker
- New York Fashion Week sees more diversity, equity, and inclusion on the runways
💼 Business & Finance
- L'Oréal invests in Chinese fragrance brand Documents
- Versace is the latest luxury brand to increase prices
- New York governor pledges 10 million dollars to fund Fashion Innovation Centre
- Zara owner Inditex’s sales reach ‘historic highs’
- Rent the Runway to cut workforce despite improving profits
📺 Marketing and Advertising
- Kanye West says he’s ending Yeezy partnership with Gap
- Zinedine Zidane is new face of Montblanc
- 58% of Brits think brand tributes to The Queen are nothing more than PR tactics
- Ferrari’s First SUV, the Purosangue, Debuts as the Most Polarizing Car of the Year
- How Queen Elizabeth Became the Ultimate Champion of British Luxury Brands
- Why the ad industry rated least compassionate in handling layoffs
Long form content (>1min)
GUCCI - The New Gucci Beauty Blush De Beauté ( 1m )
Valentino - Valentino Pink PP Collection ( 1m53 )
Helena Rubinstein - Sourced from the extreme ( 1m19 )
Dom Pérignon - Interview with Chef Frédéric Doucet ( 2m17 )
Short form content (<1min)
Hermès - Hermès | A lighthearted day ( 1m )
Christian Dior - BORN IN THE WILD, CRAFTED BY DIOR - Indonesian Patchouli ( 32s )
Berluti - Berluti - Playoff - ( 15s )
Dolce & Gabbana - The new #DGCasa Bathrobes collection ( 41s )
On top of the regular What The Luxe, I share deep-dives on hot topics in the luxury industry with the Premium subscribers.
Check the full list of Special Reports.
Here are the latest special reports:
- 01 - Luxury & Purpose
- 02 - Luxury & Holidays / Gifting
- 03 - Luxury & Craftsmanship
- 04 - Luxury Private Labels
- 05 - What is luxury?
- 06 - Luxury & Data
- 07 - Luxury & Augmented Reality (AR)
- 08 - 8 Luxury Trends for 2021
- 09 - The State of Luxury Videos
- 10 - Luxury & Podcasts
- 11 - Luxury, Crypto & Blockchain
- 12 - Luxury & Live video
- 13 - Learnings from 100 luxury pandemic campaigns
- 14 - Data & insights guide (part 1)
- 15 - Data & insights guide (part 2)
- 16 - Data & insights guide (part 3)
- 17 - Luxury & Nostalgia
- 18 - Luxury & The Web3
- 19 - Luxury & Storytelling (Long Form Videos)
Have you considered going premium?
If yes, subscribe now to What The Luxe Premium and gain access to the full experience and to support our work <3
Luxury is as much about business as it is about creativity. Staying inspired is key. Here’s a selection of what keeps me inspired:
A post shared by Pardis (@artpvb)
If you’ve enjoyed What The Luxe, share it with a friend. If you’ve hated it, share it with an enemy.
Never miss What The Luxe!
To make sure that you always get your issue of What The Luxe, drag this message into your primary tab. #proTip