Welcome back to What The Luxe, a newsletter packed with
insights & intelligence for luxury, beauty & lifestyle marketers
—written by me, David Klingbeil
An unexpected future...
The future of luxury is becoming more and more unexpected. Every day, we seem to discover a luxury concept, experience or brand that would have been impossible to imagine a few years ago. And every month, it seems like another luxury brand grabs our attention with an innovative stunt.
Customers are getting more used to the idea of doing things differently in the world of luxury:
- Unexpected brands collaborating together like Ami and Puma or Supreme and Burberry,
- Unexpected experiences like Balenciaga who has used smashed iphones as the invitation to their latest fashion show
- And even unexpected product extensions with Amazon launching its sustainable fashion brand
The thing with luxury is that it is about being at the vanguard. And industries that are ahead of the curve are hard to predict. Still, let's try to imagine the unexpected future of luxury...
I hope this newsletter will inspire you, surprise you and make you think… What the Luxe?!
PS: feel free to hit reply to leave a comment, I read and answer every message
💡 Products & Trends
- Supreme and Burberry drop an exclusive collab
- Objets Nomades Keeps Louis Vuitton's Savoir Faire Fresh
- Everything you need to know about Repetto
- AMI and PUMA launch a collab
- Lululemon launches into footwear
📺 Marketing and Advertising
- Why Luxury Loves Anime
- Balenciaga's apocalyptic show is fashion's ode to resistance
- What Makes a ‘Hyped’ Artist?
- Supreme and Nike launch sneakers built for skateboarding
- Swatch teams up with Centre Pompidou for art-inspired watch collection
🌲 Sustainability & Purpose
- Giorgio Armani, in solidarity with Ukraine, holds silent fashion show
- Amazon debuts conscious brand, Amazon Aware
- The Top Four Brands That Won International Women’s Day
🛍️ Experience & Retail
- Balenciaga: Refugees in black and white
- DIOR is opening in Paris ”La Galerie Dior”, a living museum of the brand
- How brands are using AI to hyper-personalize the customer journey
⛓️ Web3 & The Metaverse
- Beauty influencers are getting into NFTs and the metaverse
- Pantone Introduces NFT Initiative with Paris-Based Multidisciplinary Artist Polygon1993
- Hermès Files Amended Complaint in Budding Battle Over MetaBirkins NFTs
- Decoding Luxury’s NFT Consumer
- Space Runners Raises $10 Million to Build First “Fashion Metaverse”
💼 Business & Finance
- Chanel raises prices, again
- USA: Sales of prestige fragrances reached parity with skincare in 2021
- Mango triples pre-pandemic profits
- Balenciaga sent smashed iPhones to invite guests to its Paris Fashion Week show
- Adidas and Team Vitality drop sneaker inspired by 90s cereal campaigns
- Psychedelic Mushrooms Feed Your Head & May Help Your Skin
Long form content (>1min)
Hermès - Hermès | Plein Air ( 30s )
LVMH - LVMH Métiers d'Excellence x Tony Parker - You and ME 2022 ( 54s )
LOEWE - LOEWE x On ( 45s )
Harry Winston - Harry Winston Premier Kaleidoscope Automatic 36mm ( 25s )
Short form content (<1min)
Prada - A 360° experience into Prada FW22 Womenswear Collection ( 2m38 )
Balenciaga - Balenciaga Summer 22 ( 2m30 )
Berluti - Berluti - Live Iconic - ( 1m )
Christian Dior - When technology meets tradition for Autumn-Winter 2022-2023 ( 2m11 )
On top of the regular What The Luxe, I share deep-dives on hot topics in the luxury industry with the Premium subscribers.
Check the full list of Special Reports.
Here are the latest special reports:
- 01 - Luxury & Purpose
- 02 - Luxury & Holidays / Gifting
- 03 - Luxury & Craftsmanship
- 04 - Luxury Private Labels
- 05 - What is luxury?
- 06 - Luxury & Data
- 07 - Luxury & Augmented Reality (AR)
- 08 - 8 Luxury Trends for 2021
- 09 - The State of Luxury Videos
- 10 - Luxury & Podcasts
- 11 - Luxury, Crypto & Blockchain
- 12 - Luxury & Live video
- 13 - Learnings from 100 luxury pandemic campaigns
- 14 - Data & insights guide (part 1)
- 15 - Data & insights guide (part 2)
- 16 - Data & insights guide (part 3)
- 17 - Luxury & Nostalgia
- 18 - Luxury & The Web3
- 19 - Luxury & Storytelling (Long Form Videos)
Have you considered going premium?
If yes, subscribe now to What The Luxe Premium and gain access to the full experience and to support our work <3
Luxury is as much about business as it is about creativity. Staying inspired is key. Here’s a selection of what keeps me inspired:
A post shared by O H L A L A ! (@ohlala__design__)
A post shared by Jose Navarro (@j.m.navarro)
A post shared by artleove (@artleove)
A post shared by Neon Aesthetic Art Collection (@neons_world)
A post shared by Betina R. Goldstein (@betina_goldstein)
If you’ve enjoyed What The Luxe, share it with a friend. If you’ve hated it, share it with an enemy.
Never miss What The Luxe!
To make sure that you always get your issue of What The Luxe, drag this message into your primary tab. #proTip