Welcome back to What The Luxe, a newsletter packed with
insights & intelligence for luxury, beauty & lifestyle marketers
—written by me, David Klingbeil
Pushing the boundaries of Luxury
In the endless race for attention, luxury brands have to take evermore creative measures in order to reach their target audience. Culture, creativity and technology are luxury's secret weapons to tell their story in a more relevant way.
Luxury brands have the means to experiment with culture and play with emerging technologies in ways that can shape worlds of possibilities.
Last week, Balenciaga presented a custom episode of The Simpsons to introduce their fashion show. This brilliant marketing stunt shows how smart creative minds can push the boundaries of luxury.
In the meantime, more and more brands are venturing into the metaverse and playing with NFTs. They are paving the way for a new era of experiences. Those experiences will evolve over time as technologies continue to improve.
These brands are early adopters and users of new, emerging technologies not only because they can afford to experiment but also because they can't afford to miss on such a big trend.
It’s been really exciting to watch it all develop from the ground up. I hope this newsletter will inspire you, surprise you and make you think… What the Luxe?!
PS: feel free to hit reply to leave a comment, I read and answer every message
📺 Marketing and Advertising
- Balenciaga opens their fashion show with an episode of The Simpsons
- Discover the new beauty personas, from super basics to skillusionists
- The rise of digital fashion and the metaverse
💡 Products & Trends
- Dolce & Gabbana sold $5.7 million of its NFT collection
- Kylie Jenner launches Kylie Baby via direct to consumer website
- Dior launches its line of insta-worthy gym equipments
🛍️ Experience & Retail
- Gucci partners with Fashion Styling Game Drest
- Yoox Net a Porter launches a resale service in partnership with Reflaunt
- How fashion brands are navigating NFTs and what’s next for the metaverse
💼 Business & Finance
- Puma sales expected to double, to more than $11 billion
- Discover the interview of Alibaba’s head of luxury
- Mobile app shopping expected to fuel holiday boom
- Kanye West and Walmart's conflict over a logo
- Discover & Other Stories' fashion-themed board game
- YZY's $90 hoodie sold out at Gap. It's now sold $900 online
Long form content (>1min)
Balenciaga - The Simpsons | Balenciaga ( 10m )
Louis Vuitton - Travel Book Mars by François Schuiten and Sylvain Tesson ( 6m09 )
MR PORTER - Split Seconds: The 21st-Century Tool Watches From Watches And Wonders 2021 | MR PORTER ( 3m04 )
L'Oréal Paris USA - Le Défilé L’Oréal Paris ( 37m40 )
Short form content (<1min)
CHANEL - Portraits by Inez & Vinoodh( 52s )
MAC Cosmetics - Meet Ruby Woo's Iconic Crew( 31s )
Emilio Pucci x Acqua di Parma ( 38s )
KILIAN PARIS - How to Create a Deep and Intense Look with #LEROUGEPARFUM? ( 27s )
On top of the regular What The Luxe, I share deep-dives on hot topics in the luxury industry with the Premium subscribers.
Check the full list of Special Reports.
Here are the latest special reports:
- 01 - Luxury & Purpose
- 02 - Luxury & Holidays / Gifting
- 03 - Luxury & Craftsmanship
- 04 - Luxury Private Labels
- 05 - What is luxury?
- 06 - Luxury & Data
- 07 - Luxury & Augmented Reality (AR)
- 08 - 8 Luxury Trends for 2021
- 09 - The State of Luxury Videos
- 10 - Luxury & Podcasts
- 11 - Luxury, Crypto & Blockchain
- 12 - Luxury & Live video
- 13 - Learnings from 100 luxury pandemic campaigns
- 14 - Data & insights guide (part 1)
- 15 - Data & insights guide (part 2)
- 16 - Data & insights guide (part 3)
Have you considered going premium?
If yes, subscribe now to What The Luxe Premium and gain access to the full experience and to support our work <3
Luxury is as much about business as it is about creativity. Staying inspired is key. Here’s a selection of what keeps me inspired:
A post shared by @alon_art
A post shared by ❤ Hang Nguyen ❤ (@thehangedit)
A post shared by LARRY CARLSON (@larrycarlson)
A post shared by Chris (@christianschild)
A post shared by 🍋THE PINK LEMONADE🍋 (@the.pinklemonade)
If you’ve enjoyed What The Luxe, share it with a friend. If you’ve hated it, share it with an enemy.
Never miss What The Luxe!
To make sure that you always get your issue of What The Luxe, drag this message into your primary tab. #proTip
Subscribe to What The Luxe
Subscribe to the newsletter and unlock access to member-only content.