Welcome back to What The Luxe, a newsletter packed with
insights & intelligence for luxury, beauty & lifestyle marketers
—written by me, David Klingbeil
The most creative time of the year
The holidays are finally here, which means it’s time for cocktail parties, Christmas cookies and cash bonuses at work.
With the holiday season in full swing, the holiday marketing campaign is gathering speed to propel curations of gift-ideas, brand films, makeup tutorial and much more. After all, the holiday season is also the time when luxury brands try to connect with their customers in warm and personal ways.
If a brand puts together a heartwarming commercial, or a cryptic and brilliant digital campaign, you can bet that we’ll be right there to take note and sing their praises to all of our friends.
Prepare yourself to see the holiday spirit through a brand new lens. In this article you'll find 50 YouTube videos (only 10 in the free version - go premium to get the full list) from big name brands that you may or may not be familiar with - all with a decidedly holiday feel.
This year, luxury brands have leveraged specific strategies such as:
I hope this newsletter will inspire you, surprise you and make you think… What the Luxe?!
PS: feel free to hit reply to leave a comment, I read and answer every message
1 - Highlighting current trends
Finding the perfect gift (ex: gift guide by Sephora)
- Enjoying "post-pandemic" life, "after time apart, we all long for the same things" - Polo Ralph Lauren
- Customization for Guerlain (Personalize Your Bee Bottle by engraving a message)
- Humor with Tiffany & Co and La Samaritaine (Parisian luxury retailer)
- ASMR with Michael Kors
2 - Playing with music & ambiance
- Disco in Louis Vuitton's Holiday House campaign
- Holidays songs for Ralph Lauren fragrances
- Christmas-carols-inspired campaign by fashion e-retailer MyTheresa and LuisaViaRoma
- Flight of the bumble bee for Guerlain, wink to the Bee which is their emblem
3 - Leveraging specific aesthetics
- Leveraging the fairy tale / magical aesthetics (Ex: Givenchy beauty)
- Diving into the universe of a celebrity (Ex: YSL Beauty's Dua Lipa campaign)
- Creating a surprising disco / psychedelic vibe (Ex: MAC Cosmetics)
Top 10 2021 campaigns
(The full list of 50 campaigns is reserved to Premium Subscribers)
From Chanel to Louis Vuitton, Christian Dior, Guerlain and Mac Cosmetics —these are the campaigns you should pay attention to in 2021:
Louis Vuitton Louis Vuitton's Holiday House 515000 views (1m28)
Chanel A VERY CHANEL HOLIDAY – CHANEL Watches and Fine Jewelry 343000 views (30s)
Ralph Lauren RALPH LAUREN | Ralph Lauren Fragrances | Holiday 2021 330000 views (53s)
Sephora 6 Must-Have Holiday Gift Sets for 2021| Sephora 170000 views (19m16)
MAC Cosmetics Introducing... MAC Hypnotizing Holiday | MAC Cosmetics 151000 views (29s)
Moet & Chandon The World of Effervescence - End of Year Film - Moët & Chandon 142000 views (38s)
Ralph Lauren RALPH LAUREN | Polo Ralph Lauren | An Occasion to Celebrate 54000 views (1m33)
Christian Dior Dior Holidays - The Atelier of Dreams 52000 views (1m05)
Tiffany & Co. Tiffany & Co.—A New Take on “Tiffany’s Table Manners for Teenagers” 6100 views (2m16)
Hermès Hermès | En route to the holidays! 4300 views (15s)
On top of the regular What The Luxe, I share deep-dives on hot topics in the luxury industry with the Premium subscribers.
Check the full list of Special Reports.
Here are the latest special reports:
- 01 - Luxury & Purpose
- 02 - Luxury & Holidays / Gifting
- 03 - Luxury & Craftsmanship
- 04 - Luxury Private Labels
- 05 - What is luxury?
- 06 - Luxury & Data
- 07 - Luxury & Augmented Reality (AR)
- 08 - 8 Luxury Trends for 2021
- 09 - The State of Luxury Videos
- 10 - Luxury & Podcasts
- 11 - Luxury, Crypto & Blockchain
- 12 - Luxury & Live video
- 13 - Learnings from 100 luxury pandemic campaigns
- 14 - Data & insights guide (part 1)
- 15 - Data & insights guide (part 2)
- 16 - Data & insights guide (part 3)
- 17 - Luxury & Nostalgia
- 18 - Luxury & The Web3
- 19 - Luxury & Storytelling (Long Form Videos)
Have you considered going premium?
If yes, subscribe now to What The Luxe Premium and gain access to the full experience and to support our work <3
If you’ve enjoyed What The Luxe, share it with a friend. If you’ve hated it, share it with an enemy.
Never miss What The Luxe!
To make sure that you always get your issue of What The Luxe, drag this message into your primary tab. #proTip